When was the last time you got frustrated writing code? How about sad? What if I told you learning how to recognize and harness your emotions would make you a better engineer and a better coworker? Today on the show we explore the journey of a Senior Software Engineer, how emotions make us better developers not worse, things you should do to be a better teammate, a peak into life at Netflix and more.
Our guest, Jenn Creighton, has worked at companies like ClassPass, Apollo GraphQL and has been a guest on the React Podcast, has spoken at many conferences including React JS Girls: the Conference, React Conf, and JS Conf Mexico. She is also a co-organizer for useReact NYC. Currently she is a Senior Software Engineer at Netflix working in the developer productivity org, host of her own podcast - single threaded, and truly a positive force in the tech community.
Connect with Jenn
- Single Threaded Podcast
- “Your emotions are not an anti-pattern” - JS Conf Mexico talk
- Mini course on React architecture including flexibility, composition and principles
- Jenn’s journey into code via blog post
Show notes and helpful resources:
- Emotional First Aid Kit by Guy Winch
- Recurse Center social rules
- React Miami - April 18-19, 2022
- Reactathon In The Park, Berkley CA- May 3-5, 2022
- Netflix Job culture
- “No rules rules - Netflix and the culture of reinvention” by the Erin Meyer and Reed Hastings CEO of Netflix
Building something cool or solving interesting problems? Want to be on this show? Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Podcast produced by Unfiltered Build - dream.design.develop.