Our guest today, Matt Pocock, hails from the greater Oxford area in England and is an educator, content creator, software engineer and a TypeScript Wizard. He has a Master of Arts in Practice of Voice and Singing from the Guildford School of Acting and was a public speaking coach and British Accent trainer prior to his software career. He has built a voice training app called VoiceHacker Accents available for Android and a VSCODE extension to help learn TypeScript. With his deep study of the English language it is no wonder he has taken to the deep study and teachings of TypeScript. He has held many developer jobs over the years and his most recent was as a developer advocate at Vercel (the company behind Next.js). Currently, he is a full time TypeScript instructor working on Total TypeScript, the most comprehensive TypeScript course available on the web.
When Matt is not teaching the world how to wield the TypeScript wand he is big football fan and playing board game
“Expecto patronum”!! Summon the Patronus Charm of hope and happiness and TypeScript here we come!!
Connect with Matt
Show Notes and useful resources:
- Total TypeScript course
- Total TypeScript VSCODE extension
- Voicehacker Accents App
- Matt’s Beginner’s TypeScript course (as referenced in the episode examples)
- Matt loves Generics in TypeScript
- Tips on migrating to TypeScript: Run tsc init which creates a basic config file, then start small and move individual files first, like utils files
- OBS - Open Broadcast Studio - Free and open source software for video recording and live streaming
- You need a thesis for people to follow you
- Be Useful!!
- Davinci Resolve - video editor
Fun Phrases you may have heard and their American equivalent:
- “It’s pants” = It’s bad, rubbish
- “Bang on Rails” = Terrific or marvelous
- “I can’t be asked” = I can’t be bothered
Building something cool or solving interesting problems? Want to be on this show? Send me an email at email@example.com
Podcast produced by Unfiltered Build - dream.design.develop.