Let’s say you work on a team and you have a bunch of services, how do you share knowledge about the important parts of how things work? I would hope documentation is the answer and not “tribal knowledge”. But good documentation can be hard. So is communication and so is continuing to grow your career when there are so many directions you could go. In today’s show we are joined by a guest who gives us tips and tricks on better ways to create sustainable documentation, thoughts on how to communicate more effectively especially in an interview and shares a continuous learning framework he uses to help him grow.
Our guest today, Eddie Hinkle, believes the software we use should feel natively human and engage us both emotionally and cognitively. He has over 15 years experience managing engineers and designers and has worked in all sorts of industries including internet Saas, government contracting, cyber security, medical and health, education and more. Currently he is an engineering manager at Glassdoor, is the host of the podcast Webjoy, and a mentor for Collab Lab and ADPlist.org.
When he is not helping engineers grow their career with empathy he spends time with his three kids, a 5 month old, a 3 year old, and a 4 year old. He is also an avid reader and has even completed reading 52 books in one year. In his words if we aren’t learning we are stagnating.
Connect with Eddie
Show Notes and useful resources:
- Eddie’s 5 types of documentation:
- Document your code
- Document your company processes
- Document your day - he uses the tool Reflect
- Documenting your successes and failures
- Document your concerns
- Eddie uses Docusaurus for his technical documentation
- Eddie’s 4 tips for continuous learning:
- Take classes
- Apply your knowledge in a practical setting
- Expose yourself to new people and different ways of thinking about concepts
- Environment - explore a wide variety of tools and languages that are relevant
- Volunteer your time or join free group project session at Collab Lab
- Find or become a mentor at ADPlist.org
Building something cool or solving interesting problems? Want to be on this show? Send me an email at email@example.com
Podcast produced by Unfiltered Build - dream.design.develop.